Both Sweden and Ontario, Canada are taking steps toward mitigating greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, while researchers in South Dakota test the viability of ethanol production co-products as crop fertilizer. Get all the details in this week’s news roundup!

Sweden plans to go carbon neutral by 2045

Sweden’s Prime Minister, Stefan Löfven, has unveiled proposals to go carbon neutral by 2045, having set a statutory target to go carbon neutral that will be triggered by January 1, 2018.

Under the proposed Climate Act, Sweden’s government will be required by law to include a climate report in the country’s annual budget and to produce a climate action plan every four years at the beginning of each new parliamentary term.

The plans were first announced last year by the parliamentary committee responsible for environmental policy. The Climate Act would see the nation cut territorial emissions at least 85% from 1990 levels and offset the remaining 15% by investing in green projects overseas.

Read more about the proposals at Bioenergy News.

Researchers find fertilizer uses for DDGS

Distillers grains could be a source of fertilizer for some crops, according to research at North Dakota State University’s Carrington Research Extension Center.

Wet distillers grains and condensed distillers solubles (sometimes referred to as “syrup”) are organic byproducts of ethanol production from corn.

Scientists at the Center have been testing whether wet distillers grains and condensed distillers solubles are a viable source of phosphorus for corn and spring wheat crops.

Among other conclusions, they found that wheat yield increased significantly with wet distillers grains applications; applications of condensed distillers solubles also produced higher yields, but not as high as wet distillers grains.

Visit NDSU Agriculture Communication for more on this research, including additional findings.

Ontario seeks comments on proposed RFS for gasoline

Ontario’s Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change has proposed establishing a renewable fuel standard (RFS) for gasoline that aims to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from gasoline by 5% by 2020. Comments are due March 12.

A notice posted to Ontario’s Environmental Registry website explains that the Canadian province’s new Climate Change Mitigation and Low-Carbon Economy Act commits to reducing GHGs by 15% by 2020, 37% by 2030 and 80% by 2050, relative to a 1990 baseline level.

Corn, sugarcane and wheat ethanol are listed among fuels that could help meet RFS requirements, along with electricity, natural gas, renewable gasoline, renewable natural gas, cellulosic ethanol and hydrogen.

Get more information on the proposal at Ethanol Producer Magazine.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Geoff Hayward

Communications Advisor at Novozymes
Geoff writes about Bioenergy for the Communications team at Novozymes. When he isn’t advocating for an industry that’s changing the world for the better, he can be found on a North Carolina bike path or playing slide guitar.